Saturday, September 8, 2012

LinkedIn Starting to Look a Lot Like Facebook

A major redesign of LinkedIn's interface is rolling out this week. Several large companies with early access have adopted the new streamlined look. Immediate reaction ..... it looks a whole lot like Facebook Timeline! 

There are a bunch of things I like about Facebook that are being adopted by LinkedIn in this upgrade. LinkedIn has always been the clunky "wanna be" from my viewpoint. 

I never saw the value of linking to friends I already have on Facebook, or linking to people in my company Outlook address book, creating just another feed of information in my busy day. 

I never saw the reason to create a profile that is essentially my resume. If LinkedIn changed personal profile capabilities to allow broader range info, I might buy in. That said I'm getting over my reluctance.

With this new interface the experience will become more visually appealing with photos, posts and comments capabilities that we are so used to on Facebook. Company pages can be targeted to the many business users who could care less about Facebook. Bosses will encourage employees to spend time on this social media tool. LinkedIn has been wise to focus on building their user base in the business world.

I've started using LinkedIn in my business research as I seek teaming partners to bid on projects together. LinkedIn is a great and growing source of interactive communication as it settles into being the go to site for business. Promoting a better designed and interactive company page capability will certainly draw more eyeballs to company profiles. Check out the early adopter pages for Phillips, Citi, and Expedia

OK, I'm sold, hitting the "like" button. A major step forward from the old links to a company website that not only took you away from LinkedIn pages, but where you could rarely find a list of staff you are trying to connect with. Maybe more people will join LinkedIn and companies will have an even greater presence for collaborative teaming. Now, companies, get past just posting job openings on your profile. Promote your whole company! For more information, navigate to LinkedIn's blog article here>>






No comments:

Post a Comment